Agriculture Indoor Air Quality
Asbestos Lead
CFC's & FREON Mobile Sources
Complaints Ozone
Generators Referrals



Agriculture - Odors And Spraying

Agriculture - Open Burning








General Information


Smoke and Odors





General Information

















Odors and Spraying

Why are odors from agricultural operations exempt from APCD Rules and Regulations?


The California Health & Safety Code exempts odors from agricultural operations from Public Nuisance.


Agricultural operations include:


  1. Operations necessary for the growing of crops or the raising of fowl or animals.
  2. Operations that produce, manufacture, or handle compost, provided that the odors emanate directly from the compost facility or operations.
  3. Operations that compost green material or animal waste products derived from agricultural operations, and that return similar amounts of the compost produced to that same agricultural operation.

Does this include odors from farms growing hemp?


Yes, the Ventura County APCD has no enforcement authority over odors associated with the growing and harvesting of industrial hemp. The district will investigate complaints about odors emanating from hemp storage, processing, manufacturing and retail operations to determine whether they constitute a public nuisance violation that must be abated. The district also requires permits for stationary equipment associated with these purposes that emit odorous pollutants as well as air contaminant-abatement devices. Additional information and FAQ regarding the growing and harvesting of industrial hemp can be found at the California Department of Food and Agricultureís website.


Who can I contact regarding agricultural odors?


Contact the Ventura County Agricultural Commissioner's office at (805) 388-4222


Does the District regulate Pesticide or Herbicide spraying operations?


No. Pesticide spraying complaints and requests for information are handled by the Ventura County Agricultural Commissioner's office. They can provide information of what's being sprayed, by whom and for how long.


For more information on Pesticides you can also contact:


  • The Department of Pesticide Regulations at (916) 445-4300
  • The National Pesticide Information Center at (800) 858-7378
  • The Agricultural Pesticides Federal Information Center at (800) 726-4995


Open Burning

Why is Agricultural burning allowed in Ventura County?


State law allows agricultural burning to be reasonably regulated but not prohibited. District Rule 56 regulates all open fires, including agricultural burning. The requirements of Rule 56 minimize public exposure to smoke and ash fallout while allowing farmers to burn.


How does the agricultural burning permitting process work?


  • When a farmer wishes to burn agricultural materials, typically orchard trees, they first must contact their local Fire Station.
  • The Fire Department inspects the piles to be burned to ensure that the material is dry and that the piles are free of trash, construction debris, fertilizer, etc. and will not cause a fire risk.
  • The Fire Department then issues a "Burn Permit" to the farmer and sends a copy to the Air Pollution Control District.
  • The farmer must wait until the District has declared a "Burn Day" for their area before starting a burn. Ventura County is split into 6 geographical "Burn Regions" for this purpose.


The Air Pollution Control District meteorologists, in consultation with the Fire Department and California Air Resources Board, decide when to declare a burn day. Agricultural burning may be allowed in the morning, the afternoon or the morning and afternoon. The District maintains the "Agricultural Burn Forecast" voicemail center, which is updated twice a day with the current forecast.


For more information on the Agricultural Burn process you can contact the District Meteorologists at (805) 303-3889.


How do I know when it will be an Agricultural burn day?


Call the District's "Agricultural Burn Forecast" voicemail center at (805) 303-3888 to hear the updated burn status or click here. The message is updated at 8am and 4pm daily.





Does the District regulate Asbestos?


The District regulates demolition and renovation operations that include the removal of Asbestos Containing Materials from buildings and residences (except for projects at single-unit dwellings, performed by the owner/occupant). See the District's Asbestos Web Page for more information.





Does the District regulate Freon & CFC refrigerant releases?


No. The Environmental Protection Agency regulates Freon & CFC Refrigerant. Refrigerators and motor vehicle air conditioners use Freon & CFC Refrigerants for cooling. For general information about Stratospheric Ozone Depletion contact the EPA's Stratospheric Ozone Depletion Information Hotline at (800) 296-1996 or visit EPA's website at http://www.epa.gov/ozone.





General Information

How can I register an Air Quality Complaint?


  • Call the District's 24-hour complaint line at (805) 303-3700.
  • Call the Compliance Division at (805) 303-3708, M Ė F,  7 am - 4:30 pm.
  • Call the APCD receptionist at (805) 303-4005, M - F, 8 am to 5 pm.
  • Email a complaint


To register an air quality complaint with California Air Resources Board


  • Call complaint hotline at (800) 952-5588 to report a problem. This number can also be used for complaints against gasoline dispensing facilities.


See the District's Air Quality Complaints Web Page for more information.


Smoke and Odors

Can the District do anything about my neighbor burning trash in his backyard or his fireplace?


The District has no direct jurisdiction over residential fireplaces. However, the District may send a letter to the resident to make them aware of the problem and request their cooperation. The letter also informs them of the potential fines and penalties associated with creating a public nuisance.


What about smoke and odors from backyard barbecues?


The California State Health and Safety Code provides an exemption to the opacity limits for "Open outdoor fires used only for cooking of food for human beings or for recreational purposes." However, cooking odors are not exempt from causing a public nuisance. If a sufficient number of complaints are reported to the District and an Inspector witnesses the problem, the District can issue a Notice of Violation.


What can the District do about smoke and odors from restaurants?


A District Inspector can often resolve these complaints by making the source aware of the problem and letting them know a complaint has been registered. A restaurant can change its operating practices, improve maintenance of its cooking equipment, or install odor control equipment. Restaurants are not exempt from public nuisance. If a sufficient number of complaints are reported to the District and an Inspector witnesses the problem, a Notice of Violation can be issued.



What can the District do to stop dust from a construction site?


The District responds to dust complaints and, if necessary, will inform the source that the problem needs to be abated. In the case of a construction site, the District will request that the dust be kept to a minimum. Ways to reduce dust include using water trucks, restricting earthmoving activities to times when the wind is low, and altering work practices.


What can the District do to stop dust from a business?


The District will inspect a permitted business to determine whether the business is complying with their permit conditions and District Rules. If a company is operating in violation of their permit or District Rule or they are causing a public nuisance, the District can issue a Notice of Violation.





General Information

Does the District respond to Indoor Air Quality Complaints?


No. The District has no jurisdiction over Indoor Air Quality issues (IAQ).


How can I tell if there is a carbon monoxide problem in my home?


Carbon monoxide is a by-product of combustion and can be found inside buildings. For information contact EPA's Web Page For Indoor Air Quality and search for "carbon monoxide".


Does the District regulate Radon sources?


No. You can contact the following agencies with questions on Radon:


  • Ventura County's Environmental Health Department at (805) 654-2813
  • California Air Resources Board at (916) 323-1504
  • The California State Radon Office at (800) 745-7236.
  • National Safety Council's Radon hotline at (800) SOS-RADON.
  • EPA's Radon site


For more information on Radon and to obtain a copy of radon-mitigation companies in your area, contact the Consumer Federation of America Foundation's Radon Fix-it Program at (800) 644-6999. The program is free.


Please, also visit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and American Lung Association sites.



I suspect Mold is affecting my health. Who should I contact


Mold is an indoor air quality problem and is not regulated by the District. To determine if your home or office has a mold problem you will need to hire a properly trained Hygienist. Consult the yellow pages under "Building and Home Inspection Services" and "Laboratories - Testing".


For more information pertaining to Indoor Air Quality and mold, please visit the EPA, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and American Lung Association (800) LUNG-USA sites.


Mold in Homes


State law requires anyone who sells, transfers or rents residential, commercial, or industrial real property or a public entity that owns, leases, or operates a building who knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, that mold is present affecting the unit or building and exceeding the permissible exposure limits to mold, would be required to provide a written disclosure to potential buyers, prospective tenants, renters, landlords, or occupants of the mold conditions.


The Air Pollution Control District is not involved in the implementation of this law. Nor does the District have the capability to determine or test for the presence of mold. However, in the interest of providing the public with as much information as possible on this subject, information and resources have been compiled.





Does the District regulate the removal of Lead Paint from buildings?


No. The District has no jurisdiction over lead paint issues.


  • If you have a concern about lead paint removal in your workplace, contact Cal-OSHA at (805) 654-4581.
  • For information on lead paint removal, refer to EPA's site.
  • For more information you may call the Lead National Information Center at (800) 424-LEAD  (800) 424-5323.





What can the District do about smoking vehicles?


You can report a smoking vehicle to our Smoking Vehicles Hotline at (800) END-SMOG (1-800-363-7664) or at https://air.arb.ca.gov/Forms/VehicleComplaint/SmokingVehicle. You need to report the following information:


  • the smoking vehicle's license number
  • make of the vehicle
  • the location and time where you saw the vehicle


What about diesel exhaust from trucks, heavy machinery, trains or ships?


If you observe smoke from any of these vehicles, report it to the Districtís 24-hour complaint line at (805) 303-3700. The District will investigate. However, the District does not have a specific rule prohibiting emissions from mobile sources. State regulations limit the amount of time commercial diesel trucks and buses can idle. For more information see the ARB site for School Bus Idling and Commercial Vehicle Idling.


How do motor vehicles contribute to air pollution in Ventura County?


There are currently almost 555,000 motor vehicles registered in our county. And, according to the Ventura County Transportation Commission, about fifteen million miles are driven in Ventura County every day. Why is this critical to air pollution? Motor vehicles are responsible for over 50 percent of the air pollution in Ventura County. A typical car equipped with air pollution control devices will spew out some 300 pounds of smog-forming compounds and 34 tons of carbon monoxide over the course of its lifetime! However, a new car sold today is 97 percent cleaner than its predecessor 25 years ago. The primary pollutants stemming from motor vehicles are nitrogen oxides (NOx) and reactive organic compounds (ROC). When these come in contact with sunlight, ozone is formed, and ozone is our most serious air pollution problem here.


And what about motorcycles?


New motorcycles may be lighter and more fuel efficient than passenger cars, but they are more polluting. The average new motorcycle emits approximately 20 times more hydrocarbons (1.9 grams/mile) than the average new car (less than 0.1 grams/mile) and about four times more than the average car on the road (0.5 grams/mile). California Air Resources Board (CARB) staff has developed a regulatory proposal to further reduce emissions from on-road motorcycles by applying more stringent emissions standards and progressively increasing the number of zero-emission motorcycles sold each year, starting in model year 2028. For more information, visit the CARB website.

When employers conduct their employee commute survey for Rule 211, motorcycle trips are counted as drive-alone trips. The survey is based on occupancy only. A motorcycle trip could possibly be a two-person carpool. This survey method provides an estimate of average vehicle occupancy for each of the countyís large employers. Other factors, such as longer commutes and older vehicles, can produce more pollution but are not considered for this survey. Our intention is to decrease the number of vehicles on our roads to reduce air pollution and congestion, which creates additional air pollution. The size of the vehicle, or its engine, is not a factor. Motorcycles are allowed on some HOV carpool lanes. This decision was made due to the limited road space that motorcycles take up, not their air quality efficiency.





Is ozone good or bad?...


Well, itís really both. Ozone, in fact, has a dual personality. Ozone in the stratosphere, (9 Ė 30 kilometers above the Earthís surface) protects our world from the sunís harmful ultraviolet rays. But when ozone is in the troposphere (0 - 9 kilometers), it is a harmful pollutant that can cause health problems. Ozone is always the same toxic compound. Its effect simply depends on where it is in the atmosphere.


Ground level ozone is the primary ingredient of smog. Itís a colorless, highly reactive gas produced by a complicated web of chemical reactions between nitrogen oxides and reactive hydrocarbons and sunlight.


These "ozone precursors" come from varied sources like gasoline vapors, chemical solvents, fuel combustion, and household products such as hairspray, glass and oven cleaners, and deodorants. Maximum ozone concentrations occur in the afternoon, when sunlight is the strongest.





Who can I contact for more information on environmental topics?


(Please call information for the most current telephone listing):


Accuracy of fuel dispensers

Department of Weights and Measures
(805) 654-2444

Agricultural odors & Information

Ventura County Agricultural Commissioners Office
(805) 388-4222

U. S. Department of Agriculture

Aircraft emissions

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)

American Lung Association


Automotive Repair

Bureau of Automotive Repair
(800) 952-5210

Barbecue smoke or odors

Ventura County APCD complaints@vcapcd.org

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention


Channel spills

Regional Water Quality Control Board
California State Department of Fish and Game (916) 653-7664 DFG Region 5--South Coast Region
LA, Orange, San Diego, SB & Ventura Counties Public Information (858) 467-4201

Consumer products

California Department of Consumer Affairs
California Air Resources Board

Diesel-powered vehicles

California Air Resources Board (ARB) Mobile Sources Division

Dumping & Gutters - Illegal Dumping

Regional Water Quality Control Board

Dumping or water stagnation

Regional Water Quality Control Board

Environmental Protection Agency (Indoor Air Quality)


Fireplace / chimney smoke or odors

Ventura County APCD complaints@vcapcd.org
Local city / county police

California Department of Fish and Game

California Department of Fish and Game (916) 653-7664
Region 5 - South Coast Division: Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, Santa Barbara & Ventura Counties Public Information (858) 467-4201

Gas odors or leaks

Southern California Gas Company
(800) 427-2200 (Residential Customers)
(800) 427-2000 (Commercial & Industrial Customers)

Gasoline Dispensing Facilities

Ventura County APCD complaints@vcapcd.org

California Air Resources Board (800) 952-5588

Gutters or storm drains

Regional Water Quality Control Board

Hazardous materials

Ventura County Environmental Health Department (805) 654-2813

Idling School Buses and Commercial Vehicles

Idling School Buses
Idling Commercial Vehicles

Illegal businesses

City / County Code Enforcement Departments

Illegal dumping or spills

Ventura County Environmental Health Department (805) 654-2813
Regional Water Quality Control Board

Illegal dumping - Hazardous Materials

Ventura County Environmental Health

Information on Lead

EPA's Site for information on lead
The National Lead Information Center (NLIC) (800) 424-LEAD (800) 424-5323

National Safety Council


Noise from idling trucks or vehicles

Local city/county police
City/County Ordinances (Code Enforcement Departments)

Oil spills

California State Department of Fish and Game
(916) 653-7664 DFG Region 5--South Coast Region
Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, Santa Barbara & Ventura Counties Public Information (858) 467-4201

Pesticides or aerial spraying

Agricultural Commissioner's Office (805) 933-3165
Department of Pesticide Regulation (916) 445-4300
National Pesticide Information Center (800) 858-7378

U. S. Department of Agriculture


Water pollution
State Water Quality Control Board

Regional Water Quality Control Board
California State Department of Fish and Game (916) 653-7664 DFG Region 5--South Coast Region
Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, Santa Barbara & Ventura Counties Public Information (858) 467-4201





Do I need a permit to use an emergency generator during a Public Safety Power Shutoff Event?


Permits for this emergency use are only required for diesel-powered generators, not for those that run on natural gas, gasoline or propane. Also, air pollution permits are not required for generators that are used for a residence with four or fewer families, those with less than 50 brake horsepower or portable rentals.